FHA - Credit Requirements
FHA mortgages are popular with first-time home buyers, existing home owners who want to limit their out-of-pocket costs, and consumers who have limited - or less than perfect - credit histories. So what does FHA look for in a borrower’s credit profile?
FHA requires consumers to have two established credit accounts; however alternative credit sources can be considered by lenders on a case-by-case basis.
Borrowers who are actively paying off a Chapter 13 bankruptcy may be eligible for FHA financing as long as they have been making satisfactory payment for the previous 12 months, can provide an acceptable explanation for the bankruptcy, have re-established good credit, and have been granted permission from the court to enter into new debt.
For borrowers with a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, two years must have elapsed since the discharge date, they must have re-established good credit, and they must provide a satisfactory explanation for why the bankruptcy happened. However, if extenuating circumstances caused the bankruptcy, a 12-23 month waiting period since the discharge date may be acceptable.
Foreclosure or Deed-in-Lieu
Generally a 3-year waiting period is required for borrowers who have had a previous foreclosure or deed-in-lieu event. However, the waiting period may be reduced to 12-35 months if acceptable proof that the event was due to extenuating circumstances can be provided.
CONTACT ME TODAY TO LEARN MORE ABOUT FHA’S CREDIT REQUIREMENTS!
Home Buyer Tips
- 2 Myths That May Be Holding You Back From Buying
- 5 Reasons Home Ownership is a Good Financial Investment
- Condo Loans - Low Down Payment
- Do’s and Don’ts During The Loan Process
- FHA 90 Day Property Flip Waiver
- Getting a Mortgage: Why So Much Paperwork?
- How to know if it’s a condo?
- How We Safe Guard Your Information
- Look for a Luxury Home? Now’s The Time To Act!
- Mortgage Insurance
- Niche - Unique Mortgages
- Path 2 Buy
- Ready To Make An Offer? 4 Tips For Success
- Rent vs. Buy
- Rising Rent - No Problem
- Student Loan Debt
- The Mortgage Process
- The Perfect Home Loan Application
- USDA-Wide Open Spaces
- What You Need To Know About VA Loans
- 3 Reasons Why First-Time Home Buyers Love FHA
- FasTrac Approval Process
- FHA - Home Ownership Opportunities
- FHA “Back-To-Work: Extenuating Circumstances” Program
- FHA 203k Streamline Rehab Loan
- Home Ready Program
- HomeStyle Renovation
- HUD-184 Native American Program
- Jumbo Loans
- Jumbo Plus Loans
- Loan Programs - Pros & Cons
- Reverse Mortgage
- Veterans Assistance Loan Benefits
- Delayed Financing Options
- Discount Points vs Premium Pricing
- Duplex Financing Options
- FICO Scores
- Flipped Property Finance Options
- How Low Interest Rates Increase Your Purchasing Power
- Jumbo - Credit Challenged
- No Lender Fees
- The Power of Pre-Approval for Agents
- Where Are Interest Rates Headed?
- Why Pre-Approval Should Be Your First Step
- Family Opportunity Program
- Fannie Mae - 97% LTV
- FHA - Benefits
- FHA - Credit Requirements
- FHA - Limited Savings
- FHA - Refinance
- HomeScout: Your Unfair Advantage
- Jumbo - Medical Loan Program
- Luxury Home - 2 Million Max
- NHF Platinum - Down Payment Assistance
- Non-Resident Alien Home Loan
- Union Advantage